Onion Red Seeds (Desi )
Red Onions tend to be medium to large in size and have a sharp flavor and eye-watering qualities. They are often consumed raw (and can be added to salads for colour and bite), grilled or lightly cooked with other foods. Red onions are available throughout the year and are high in flavonoids and fibre (compared to white and yellow onions). Cut red onion can be soaked in cool water for a period of time and the water can be drained off, resulting in less “bite” and pungency.
|Common Name||Purple onions|
|Botanical Name||Allium cepa|
|Height||6 to 12 inches, 1 to 3 feet|
|Sun Exposure||Long-day onions require 14 to 16 hours of light each day to produce bulbs.|
Characteristics of Onion Red:
- Single bulb with a round shape.
- Purple to red outer skin.
- Double layer of intact papery outer skin.
- Firm, crisp texture of fleshy white scales with purple-red edges.
- Mild, sweet to tangy flavour.
- Stems trimmed to less than 50 mm in length.
Planting and Care:
- All onions need plenty of sun and well-draining soil with a pH between 6.0 and 6.8.
- Set the onion bulbs 1 to 2 inches (2.5-5 cm) deep so the roots are well covered but the neck isn’t set too deeply.
- Space the plants 6 inches (15 cm.)
There are no reviews yet.